Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Lemon Poppyseed Slaw




Summer is such a beautiful season in Colorado. Cool mornings and lots of sunshine during the day. It's not too hot for the most part, and we get to enjoy thunderstorms in the afternoons. And there is no snow. I really adore the part where there is no snow.

With all these benefits I do start to long for fall around the end of summer. By August, I feel I have made every side a person can make for grilled meat at least four times. On a night that called for barbequed chicken, I was rather "blah" feeling about what was to go with it.

I looked at the lonely cabbage and carrots in the fridge and decided on a slaw of sorts. But I was very tired of coleslaw. Then I thought I would try out a dressing from mykindofcooking. It was fabulous! I loved it that night and had no complaints about eating it for lunch the next day. 

The salad this dressing goes with is rightly called "Everyone's Favorite Salad." I have made this salad before and people just love it. I added some lemon juice to the dressing for a bit of brightness. It really soaks up all the flavor when it sits overnight. Try this out with your next grill session, and you will call it your favorite dressing, too!

Ingredients

2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 small head of cabbage, shredded
3 carrots, shredded
1/2 cup almonds, roasted and chopped

Combine the first six ingredients together in a large bowl and whisk  this really well.  Add in the cabbage and carrots. Stir well to ensure each piece of cabbage and carrot are covered. Let this chill in the fridge for about an hour. You can eat this right away, but it's really best to let the dressing soften up the cabbage a bit. Just before serving, stir in the chopped almonds so they are super crunchy.


No comments:

Post a Comment