Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

 Tomato Soup Bread Bowls



Over the holidays I went on a tremendously fabulous trip to San Francisco. I ate, ate, and ate my way through the city and experienced many different delicious dishes.  One of the things San Francisco is known for is their sourdough bread bowls filled with steamy soup. While my magic bread recipe is not sourdough, it does make a nesting place for soup. My favorite soup in a bread bowl is tomato and I love it with my creamy tomato soup recipe.

To make these awesome bread bowls just follow my magic bread recipe, but split the dough into four small balls and bake them for about 30 minutes instead of 45. You will still need to preheat the pan before you bake them.


Once the bread has baked, cut a small hole in the top being careful not to cut the bread all the way through. Then, if your oven is still hot put it back in until the inside of the bread bowl is toasted. If you are not making the bread bowls right away, a toaster oven works really well.


Once the bread is toasty and crisp, fill it with your favorite soup. Try out my creamy tomato soup. It's rich and delicious and goes well with the bread. Top the soup with a sprinkle of cheese and a few croutons.


It may not be the same as Boudin's bakery, but it's a nice way to keep memories!









1 comment:

  1. Lots of happy memories from that trip! Your soup bowl looks just as good as Boudin's did. I bet yours is better, because you baked it with love!

    ReplyDelete