Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013




 Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup 




Colorado is experiencing a welcomed heatwave after a spell of really terrible, no good, horribly cold weather. It was supposed to be a nice and toasty 70 degrees today. It may have been that warm for a few moments but it quickly got chilly once again. Before I had a chance to close up my theoretical beach umbrella in an angry huff, I remembered I had some left over chicken tortilla soup in the freezer waiting for me. 

This is a very easy and flavorful soup to make. I like to use tortilla chips rather than regular corn tortillas. It may all be in my mind but I feel like the chips soak up the soup a little faster and adds an extra salty fried crunch. Salty and fried. Need I say more?

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of oil
1/2 red onion
1 jalapeno
1 bell pepper (I used red but any color will work)
1/2 lb chicken breast (1 large or 2 small)
1 14 oz can black beans
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
2 boullion cubes 
1/2 cup tortilla chip crumbs
Condiments like cheese, sour cream, and extra chips 

First,  chop the onion, jalapeno, and red pepper. Add the oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add salt and pepper to this mixture. 

Season the chicken and add it to the pan. You can take the veggies out of the pan to cook the chicken, but I just squish them to the side and let the chicken cook in the center.Once the chicken is no longer pink, add the beans and tomatoes. Fill both of these cans about half way with water and add that to the pan as well.

 Add in the bouillon cubes and let the mixture come up to a boil. Simmer the soup for about 15 minutes. Add the tortilla chip crumbs to the mixture and let this simmer for about  5 more minutes.

Once the mixture has thickened up serve with the condiments and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum.
    So....please take a day off.....bake/cook more....post more and take care of yourself. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of the soup! It makes me want to dig right in to that tasty soup recipe.

    ReplyDelete