Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Perfect Hot Cocoa


 I have to admit, when the snow starts to fall and the temperatures drop I am a big baby. It's always been this way really. When I was a kid, all my friends would want to go sledding in the fresh powdery wonderland. I was not interested. Instead I would make them some tasty hot cocoa afterwords. It's a much more enjoyable wintertime activity, don't you think.

There are tons of recipes for hot cocoa and different mixes floating around out there. The biggest problem I have with them? They are all designed to keep a family with a circus of children in the cocoa business for over a year. Sometimes it's just nice to have one or two cups. This is by far my favorite recipe for hot cocoa. It's super chocolatey and doesn't have any silly filler ingredients in it. If you are a chocolate fan, this is for you. Plus, it's super easy!


For this yummy winter symptom elixir you will need:
1 cup of milk (whole,1%,2%, or skim)
1 Tbs cocoa powder
2 Tbs sugar


Start by putting the milk in a microwave safe mug. Then microwave it for about a minute. This will make the cocoa powder dissolve a little easier.












For the cocoa I made I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa. Not because I'm fancy, but because I don't read labels at the grocery store well. Just make sure you are using pure cocoa powder or else it will be super sweet. 







Plop in the cocoa and the sugar. Microwave for another 1 to 2 minutes more.



Stir, stir, stir. The cocoa takes some encouraging but it is worth it. If it is being stubborn, heat it for another 30 seconds or so.




Sit back, relax, and enjoy the good parts of winter.


2 comments:

  1. This is the type of hot chocolate mt mom used to make for us when we were little. It is the BEST! Your version is much easier. My mom would make hers in a saucepan on the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make it on the stove, but it seemed so silly for all that work for just one cup. I would still do it if I were making it for a crowd, though!

    ReplyDelete