Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012



 Green Chile Sauce


 Before I went to college in New Mexico, green chile to me was a delicious sauce for burritos or eggs. It was quite a surprise when I moved how differently it's used in the land of enchantment. When someone says "green chile" they mean the actual chile not a tasty sauce with pork in it. I loved the food I found in New Mexico, but I will always prefer my green chile as a sauce rather than just cut up green chile. 

This is my mom's recipe and it is super tasty! I have such good memories of green chile day as a kid. My mom usually made this in a large roaster from my great grandmother's kitchen, which would keep us in green chile for about a full year. If you freeze your green chile, know that it may reheat a little less spicy (which may be good or bad!).

To make my mom's green chile sauce you will need:
1 2lb pork shoulder roast (you could also use a whole chicken or a small beef roast)
1/2 of a large onion, diced
1 to 3 jalapenos, chopped (I used 2)
2 27 oz cans of whole green chilies
1 14 oz can of diced or stewed tomatoes
Salt and pepper about 1/2 teaspoon each






Start by seasoning the pork roast with salt and pepper in a crock pot. You could also do this in the oven at about 325 degrees. 





 Then add the chopped onion and jalapeno. If you want, you can take out the ribs and seeds of the jalapeno to make it less spicy. I did not. I was lazy.















On top of the pork, onion, and jalapeno, add the cans of green chile and tomato.














Stir your very full crock pot to make sure everything is well combined. I added another sprinkle of salt and pepper before I stirred it up.

Turn the crock pot onto low heat for about six hours.









Take the pork out when it is very tender and shreds very easily. Let it cook off for a few minutes, it's super hot!


If your green chile pieces fall apart and you would like to have more of a pepper texture, add more whole or diced green chilies now. I did not. The crock pot was simply too full.







When the pork is finished it should pretty much fall 
apart. Shred the meat into very small pieces






Add the pork back to the crock pot and cook for about another half an hour. Adjust the seasonings to taste. I added more salt on account of a subconscious wish for hypertension and all those things that go with eating a lot of salt.



Hooray! You have green chile sauce! Now you can eat it plain, put it in eggs, on top of burritos, in burritos, mix with Velveeta for a delicious dip and sooooo many other things. Enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. This sauce sounds delicious! As a New Mexico girl myself I would have to say I am just happy to have green chile...in any form. so this amazing looking Green chile sauce would obviously hit the spot :-) Thanks for sharing your family recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom's recipe is awesome! I love how easy it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! It's a really good one to freeze since it goes with so many different things. I hope you try it out and love it!

    ReplyDelete