Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

Grandma's Meatloaf



Meatloaf is one of those foods almost everyone loves. On sandwiches, with mashed potatoes, meatloaf is just a great meal. When people talk about meatloaf, they are usually referring to the kind with gravy over the top. While that is super tasty, my favorite variety was my grandma's.

She would make the meatloaf with rice and pour vegetable juice over the top. The meat itself was very tender and crumbly with a juicy sauce keeping it nice and moist. I make a meatloaf similar to hers. I like to use turkey since it's a bit lighter and leaves much less grease in the pan when you are done. I also like to use tomato sauce instead of vegetable juice since I think it has a bit more flavor. 

Ingredients

2 to 3 cups cooked white rice
1 pound ground turkey
1 teaspoon season salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup steak sauce
3 cups tomato sauce
 

First, make sure your rice has cooled from being cooked. The meat will start to slowly heat up and cause bad things to happen. I'm not sure what the scientific process is, but my mom says not to do it. I trust her on this one. 


Add the remaining ingredients except for the tomato sauce. Stir this until it is well mixed. Make sure you are not compacting the meat as it will get too tough. 
 

Spray the bottom of a large pot that can go into the oven. If you do not have one of these, a 9X13 pan will do just fine as well. Shape the meat into a loaf.


Pour the tomato sauce over the top of the meatloaf. It will seem like there is a lot of sauce, but it bakes down into a thicker, stickier sauce.  Cover the whole thing with a lid or aluminum foil. Bake the meatloaf at 350 degrees for about an hour. 


When the meatloaf has baked for an hour,or so, test the center with a meat thermometer to make sure it is cooked all the way through. A peek inside the middle is also not a bad idea. 
 

 I love to serve this with some quick roasted veggies like carrots or broccoli. I hope you try this out and love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment