Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Bread Pudding


There was an oven incident in our apartment recently. I had tried to bake a cake, but it just never seemed to cook all the way through. The top received a dark golden color right away, but it jiggled more than Santa's belly.

The bottom heating element was broken and I was left with a cake that was part mushy and part golden crunchy. This led to an all parts sad situation. I let the cake hang out in the fridge for a few days since throwing it out would be such a sad acknowledgement to defeat.

After the oven was fixed I decided the cake would not go to waste, it would just be a different delicious dessert. 

Bread pudding is my go to recipe for a cake that just didn't turn out quite right. If it is too dry, bread pudding is an easy solution. My cake was overly moist, so I decided to crumble it up and toast it for a few minutes under the broiler. You can use leftover muffins, cupcakes or even bread if you would like to be traditional. Since I used a very sweet pound cake for this recipe, I did not add much sugar to the custard.  If you were to use bread I would add another cup or so of sugar to the egg mixture. 

This bread pudding was so delicious! I am so glad I didn't throw out my sad little cake.

6 cups of cake or bread, crumbled with the crusts cut off
4 eggs
3 cups of milk
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon of milk


Here is the pitiful cake. The top was very brown and the edges cooked to crunchy cookie perfection. It wouldn't even come out of the pan without force. I dried out the cake a little under the broiler after I got it out of the pan.


Place the cake pieces into a medium sized greased casserole dish. 


In a medium bowl, whisk up the milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla. 


Pour the custard mixture over the cake crumbs. I like to use a bit of a squishing motion to help the cake really soak up the liquid. Bake this in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes to an hour or until the top is browned and the inside is set.


While the bread pudding bakes, combine the powdered sugar and milk together to make a glaze. Pour the glaze over the top of the bread pudding once it has cooled for a bit. 

This is really a delicious and warm dessert for winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment