Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013


 Perfect Ginger Cookies



When people find out I have a food blog, they always ask the same question: "What type of food theme is it?" This question causes me to stare blankly at them waiting for an answer to come to me. This silly little blog has been up for about a year and I am still unable to answer this. "Food I like to eat?" I tell them questioningly, hoping it is enough of a legitimate answer to pacify them. The truth is, I have no idea. I really like cooking, eating, sharing, reminiscing, thinking  and talking about food. That is really the main reason for this whole thing. If anyone has a good way of describing what that theme is I am all ears. 

I was asked a new question the other day.  "So does everything you make have ginger in it?" That is obviously an easy question to answer. I think there has been only one recipe posted with ginger even in it. To be completely honest, I am picky about my ginger usage. It shows its best ability in desserts. Case in point: ginger cookies. This is a recipe I have modified from the Barefoot Contessa to make it a bit easier and uses a few less ingredients. These cookies are spicy, chewy and just perfectly toothsome. 

Ingredients

1 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup molasses 
1 egg
1 cup chopped crystallized ginger
2 1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons apple or pumpkin pie spice


 Combine all of the wet ingredients and mix them well. You may think that just 1/4 cup of oil is not enough, trust me these cookies will be perfect!


There are two types of crystillized ginger, wet and dry. This is the type you need. I have found this in a few different places. You can get this in itty bitty jars for about seven dollars. Don't get that kind. I have had pretty good luck in the dried fruit section, as well as stores that sell things in bulk bins. Just a scoop should do you for these cookies.


Chop up the crystalized ginger. This is was makes the cookies so spicy, so make sure they are in little bits. You could certainly leave this out of you are not as big of a ginger fan, but it does add a nice warmth to the cookie. After you stir in the ginger, add the remaining dry ingredients.
 

Roll the combined dough into tablespoon sized balls and bake them on a greased cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for bout 8 to 10 minutes. Make sure these are not over baked, they are not nearly as tasty. 
 

These are really tasty with coffee or milk, even with ginger tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment