Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013



Ice Cream Sandwich Cake


 I love having people in my home and making them my guinea pigs for my silly little blog. Recently I was going to bake a treat for some friends, but this was a terrible plan. The thermostat for summer in Colorado has been racing to the top and  baking is not the best idea. My recipe needed to bake for over an hour. Regardless as to how good it would have tasted, it wouldn't have mattered as my guests wold have melted into puddles in my living room!

A backup plan was desperately needed, and this is an easy one. I swung by the store and picked up some ice cream sandwiches. A humble but fantastic dessert everyone loves. I combined these in layers with caramel sauce, whipped topping, and chopped almonds. It was delicious! This is a great dessert to keep on hand or take to a summer soiree you have in your future.

Ingredients

1 box (24 count) vanilla ice cream sandwiches
1 16 oz container of whipped topping
2/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
1 cup chopped almonds



Unwrap and place half of the ice cream sandwiches into a 9 X13 pan. Depending on the size and shape of the sandwiches, you may need to cut and squish them to fit. 



Spread half of the whipped topping over the sandwiches. I may have put a bit less than half to make sure there was plenty to spread over the top to make it nice and pretty. Drizzle half of the caramel and the chopped almonds over this. Make sure each bite gets a good amount of everything.


Unwrap and place the remaining ice cream sandwiches over the ooey gooey toppings. This layer will probably squish really well. Just try to fit all the spaces of the pan. 


Spread the remaining whipped topping over the top and throw on the rest of the caramel and almonds. I used salted and roasted almonds and it was a delicious sweet and salty combination. 


Place the cake into the freezer for at least half an hour before serving so all the toppings will mix together nicely. 

1 comment:

  1. I made a version of this recipe during one of my cooking demos at the Iowa State Fair. Everyone loved it!

    ReplyDelete