Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013


Fried Corn Salad


 
Potlucks are always a gathering of friendly faces and delicious dishes. It's so fun to see what other people bring and enjoy tasting it. "Fried" and "Salad" are not words that usually go together, but I think they should always be added to a potluck menu. Especially if the things being fried are bacon and corn. I brought this side dish to a potluck recently and I knew people would love it. This is really tasty with any combination of other salads or meats. It's also really convenient since it can be served hot, cold, or anywhere in between. 

I of course made this rather last minute (Procrastination will be the death of me) and didn't get a chance to get the real recipe I was wanting to make. My mom made a salad similar to this a few years ago for a BBQ from a Taste of Home magazine recipe. It has been one of my favorites ever since. It has a few differences due to my bad memory. The important parts are for sure there: corn, bacon, and peppers. Try this easy recipe out soon!

Ingreidents

8 slices of bacon, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 16 oz bags of frozen corn
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons of chopped cilantro (optional)



Start  by browning the bacon in a medium saucepan. I have always hated chopping bacon since its slimy texture makes it difficult to cut. Linda, from My Kind of Cooking posted a tip on using kitchen shears or sizors to cut it instead. I used turkey bacon here, but I would use regular if you have it. I ended up adding a little butter to the pan to help fry the next ingredients, but you shouldn't need to if you use regular bacon


Add the onion and bell pepper and allow this to soften. I also sprinkled a bit of salt and pepper on this as well. 


Once the pepper and onion are soft, add in the corn. The corn can be frozen or thawed. Cook this until the corn is heated through and mix well. Then sprinkle on the cilantro if you are using it. 



















Add this to your go to menu for BBQs, potlucks and dinner sides, you will love it!

1 comment: