Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013



 Christmas Cooking and Cleaning Tips


 As the holidays come closer to us, the hustle and bustle of the season fast forwards a bit. Do you feel it? I was at the mall this weekend aimlessly wandering around for presents and I felt the panic in the air. There is a lot to do this time of year and it is great, but we can all use a little help from time to time. I hope these tips will help out with your cooking and cleaning tasks for the Christmas season!



First on my list of tips is how to clean copper. I have these pans that regularly need some love. I know they are old and terrible, but I just adore them. So on occasion I shine them up with an easy fix.


Take a lemon and cut it in half. Sprinkle liberally with table salt and scrub away at the copper. It doesn't take long to see that pretty, clean metal shine through.


Much better!


 Tip number two comes from my super smart mom! I really hate cleaning a strainer, but I would prefer to have the greased drained from ground meat. You can have both with an easy trick. Squish all the meat to one side and lift up one side of the pan to allow the grease to collect. Then spoon it out or use a paper towel to soak it up. I have even recently started putting the handle of my skillet over my teapot, it is the perfect height for this!


 My dear friend Julie consistently claims to be "not good at the whole domestic thing." She is really cute. She is also a liar. One day she brought over some leftover fresh peeled garlic for me to borrow.  Julie told me to keep it in the freezer and it works  perfectly all the time. She was right! Now I just peel a few bulbs at a time and keep the cloves frozen. When you are ready to use them, just pop them into whatever your cooking for a delicious addition.


One of my favorite tips comes from Linda at mykindofcooking. She posts awesome tips and recipes all the time! I really hate chopping bacon. It's slimy and wiggly and just not fun. One of her posts said to just cut the bacon with kitchen shears, it's perfect for big or little slices in a recipe!

I hope these help your holiday entertaining Come back for a visit  for some tasty Christmas treats!

2 comments:

  1. Love the frozen cloves of garlic idea, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like it! It's one of my favorites, too. I always smell like garlic for a while after I break open a bulb so I might as well only do it once. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete