Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

One Bowl Red Velvet Cake


Red Velvet cake is very popular theses days. From weddings to birthdays to the average bakery menu, red velvet has made a large spike in popularity as of late. I recently went to a birthday party and needed something to bring along. I had just cleaned the kitchen and felt no great desire to make it a disaster again. Hmmm... what to make?

I remembered a red velvet cake recipe that looked really good, but I had never made it before and it needed some changes. It seemed risky, but the party was right next to a grocery store. With a backup plan in mind I decided to take my chances and alter a new creation. The cake was very moist and delicious with the perfect amount of chocolaty goodness. Not to mention it can be made in one bowl for easy cleanup!

I used a cute new pan I got from Linda at Mykindofcooking.com for Christmas. The bake time will be the same for two 9 inch pans, but you will need to shorten it if you are making red velvet cupcakes.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup of plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vinegar 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon red food coloring
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour



Combine all the ingredients together mixing well after the addition of each thing. Mix the flour in 3 batches and be sure to not over mix.

Bake in a pan of your choice for about 30 to 50 minutes  in a 350 degree oven until the edges are browned and a cake tester comes out clean when tested in the center.


Frost the cake with cream cheese frosting once the cake has cooled completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1 stick of butter, softened
1 /2 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups of powdered sugar

Blend the first three ingredients together with an electric mixer until they are light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Then carefully add the powdered sugar and continue mixing for another minute or so. Frost the cake when it is completely cooled.

1 comment:

  1. I needed a good Red Velvet cake recipe! I am going to break out my pan too and make this recipe for an upcoming potluck!

    ReplyDelete