Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013




 Angel Food Cake with Cranberry Compote


 As promised I have a super easy holiday treat for you. It requires about 10 minutes, it's super delicious and beautiful! Christmas time is something I look forward to each year. I make myself wait to decorate and get out all of the things that make the season bright. It makes me one happy girl to smell pine trees and hear Christmas Carols.

 Then I realize how many different events I need to go to, how many presents I need to think about and shop for, how many cookies need to be made for everyone who is able to eat cookies, go look at lights in the freezing temperatures and heaven knows what else. Let's face it, Christmas is wonderful, but it is crazy busy! This fool proof dessert is a life saver and will make anyone feel the holiday spirit inside.

 Ingredients

1 package of fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup Orange Marmalade
 1 prepared Angel Food Cake


Plop the whole package of the cranberries into a medium sauce pan. I rinsed my cranberries off a bit while they were still in the bag, so this may have added about a tablespoon of water or so. Turn the heat on the pan to medium low and put a lid over this.

You will hear some popping and nonsense going on. Don't be afraid, this is normal but be very careful as the cranberries will nearly burn you alive.
 

 Once the cranberries have had a bursting good time over the heat add in the sugar and marmalade. Turn the heat down to low.


Continue to cook the cranberries until they are hardly recognizable, about another 5 minutes. I like a good amount of cranberry texture to it, but if you do not, just keep cooking and stirring a while longer.
 

While the cranberries are doing their thing, slice up the angel food cake into large chunks. It's low fat, don't cheat people on the cake size.
 

I let the compote cool a bit before serving so it does not give people that nasty scalded tongue feel. Pour the cranberry goodness over the cake slices. This can be made ahead as well! Just keep the cake and compote separate and refrigerated until you are ready to serve.

Check back on Monday for some easy kitchen tips to make your holiday cooking easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment