Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Bacon and Veggie Quiche
















When I was a kid I had a hard time sleeping. It is a normal phase of adolescents to have weird sleep patterns, and I was indeed apart of the norm. It was during this time I learned to love the late night infomercials and the silly things they would sell. They would all have the same format: a huge problem in everyone's lives would be presented (including a drama soaked dramatization) and a magical appliance would appear to help solve it. 

Several of the food storage and saving devices came to mind the other day when I went to make this quiche. The plan was to have broccoli swimming in a sea of tender and delicious eggs. My broccoli had become floppy and slimy, not so good with eggs. After rummaging around my veggie drawer, I found a sometimes forgotten vegetable. I figured zucchini would work just as well in a quiche and it was quite delicious! Choose the veggie you love most, and make sure to store your broccoli well and use it quickly.

Ingredients

6 eggs
1 medium zuchinni, chopped
4 slices of bacon, chopped (turkey or regular)
1 cup of cheese, graded


First, unfold a single pie crust into a pie plate. You can use your favorite frozen pie dough or find my favorite homemade recipe here.  Place the pie crust into the refrigerator to chill while you make the filling. Chilled pie crust bakes up way flakier.


 While the pie crust is chilling, crack six whole eggs into a bowl. Season them with salt and pepper to your liking. Then, whip these into a furry to make super fluffy eggs. My mom shared a secret for fluffy eggs: use a blender. I like to use my immersion blender but a regular whisk will do as well.


 Arrange the bacon and the zucchini in the chilled pie crust. I like to keep the bacon on top. It invites those who have questionable opinions about vegetables.


pour the whisked eggs over the pie crust. 



 Sprinkle the cheese over the egg mixture evenly.


 Bake the quiche at 350 degrees for about 40 to 50 minutes or until the top is golden and the center is set.


A slice of this delicious pie and a side salad would be perfect for any time of day!

No comments:

Post a Comment