Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Pineapple Cobbler


 

 "What does that say?" This is a question my precious 7th graders ask pretty frequently when I hand write things. "It says something about cobblers or cobblestones or...I'm not really sure." The boys in the front are always eager to be the reporters. "What's a cobbler?" They asked. I really meant the shoe making kind of cobbler, but it was right before lunch so my brain was hard wired to think of the delicious fruit and cake kind. "It's a fruit dessert with a yummy cake like topping over it." I tell them. They look at me puzzled since desserts really don't belong to the working class of Ancient Rome. "Well, I can't really read it, but it looks like you tried very hard to write it neatly for us." A sweet girl says.

The rest of the day I had tried to think of the last time I had made a cobbler. It had been a long time since the fruits of summer were so deliciously perfect for such a treat. It was a fresh ten degrees outside so most fruits were not on sale. In my mind I went through my produce and came upon a golden idea: pineapple cobbler. All the things that are super tasty about pineapple upside down cake, but super easy and buttery. It was probably the best idea I have had in a long time. It came out with a thick and rich golden syrup and moist topping. It is pretty much perfect.


 Ingredients

Fruit Filling
2 to 3 cups of fresh pineapple cut into small chunks
1/2 cup of brown sugar
 juice of 1 orange

Cobbler
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup of milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup of flour



First, place the 1 stick of butter into a small casserole dish and allow this to melt in the over while it is preheating.


Heat all the filling ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. I only added a little sugar, because my pineapple was really fresh and sweet. Cook this for about 10 minutes, just to soften the pineapple for a bit.


Combine all of the remaining cobbler ingredients in order. Do not add the butter, it will just stay in the pan and have the batter layered over it. 


This is where the recipe might seem a little odd. Pour the cobbler batter over the melted butter. Do not stir this, it will all combine.

Then, after the batter, pour over the cooked fruit. It seems a little odd, but the layers should be: butter, batter, and then fruit. There is a magic occurrence that takes place in the oven where everything just finds it's place. The batter on top of the fruit and the butter flavor just seems to be everywhere. 


Bake the cobbler for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees. The top does not have to be super browned, but the middle should be set and not wiggly. 

Serve this delightful treat with some vanilla ice cream and you will be delighted!

No comments:

Post a Comment