Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013


 No Bake "Dinosaur" Cookies



The beginning of the school year always makes me wish I were in second grade again. All the new paper, notebooks and crayons just make me want to go back to Mrs. Barkley's class with my Flintstones lunchbox. Don't get me wrong, being able to drive, vote and stay up as late as I want are all great perks of adulthood. But there are some things I would like to go back to. 

In my second grade class we were studying dinosaurs and we ended the unit with a class cooking project. We all lined up single file and walked down to the cafeteria. We watched Mrs. Barkley mix up the different parts of the cookie and it was the best thing ever. The ingredients were just gross enough to be cool.We got to eat cookies with fossils in them! I saved the printed copy of this for a pretty long time and then it disappeared. In my maturity I manage to still remember the silly things she called each one of the ingredients. When I saw Linda from mykindofcooking posted this recipe, I knew I had to recreate the best day of elementary school.

 Ingredients

2 cups sugar (dinosaur teeth, finely ground)
½ cup butter (alligator grease)
½ cup milk (lake water)
½ cup peanut butter (dinosaur ear wax)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder (dirt)
½ teaspoon vanilla
3 cups oatmeal (dinosaur bones)


Melt the sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan over medium high heat.


Let the mixture come to a boil and let it fester for about a minute to a minute and a half.


Add in the cocoa and the peanut butter and mix until it's well combined. It would be a terrible idea to try to taste this delicious peanut buttery chocolate combination in this state. Trust me, it is craaaaazy hot! It wasn't even worth the blister on my finger.


Add in the oats and mix them until the velvety mixture covers each of the "fossils." 
 

Spoon the combination onto wax or parchment paper to make the cookies. Allow them to cool until they are set. I like to have these ice cold with a glass of milk.


3 comments:

  1. These are a back in the day favorite of mine. I keep them in the freezer on waxed paper - they are not so hard you can't eat them (let them sit out for as long as you can stand it) - gives new meaning to chocolate treats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob always requests these at Christmas when I go Cookie crazy!

    ReplyDelete