Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013


Tropical Fruit Parfait



There was a time when I didn't know the joy of a parfait. Sadly, McDonald's had to teach me how much I delight these lovely layered creations. I have a few favorite parfaits, but this one just makes you feel like summer is on the way. It's not really. There's snow on the ground and it's still very cold. The seasons here in Colorado are a bit confused, but that's just fine with me if I have toasted coconut and a good furnace. 

I make my parfaits with my home strained yogurt recipe. You can use that or any store bought yogurt you like. It just adds something special with the great pineapple flavor. Grape nuts are also one of my favorite things to use since they stay nice and crunchy in the yogurt. Also, if you leave them in yogurt overnight, they almost taste like a healthy crumb topping. True fact.

Ingredients

1 Cup of yogurt
1/4 cup Grape Nuts Cereal
1/4 cup coconut
2 Tbs chopped Macadamia Nuts
1 Clementine Orange, or 1/2 cup of chopped pineapple
This will make one parfait




 First, mix up and measure out the yogurt. You can use my pineapple yogurt makeover recipe or any yogurt you like.


Toast the coconut over low heat until it is slightly browned. Keep stirring it and make sure it does not burn. Allow this to cool before putting it in the parfait.


 Sprinkle about 1/4 of the Grape Nuts into a parfait glass or any small jar will work.


 Add in a slight sprinkle of the macadamia nuts and cooled coconut


Top this with the yogurt. Make sure none of the ingredients underneath are poking through.


Add in about 1/4 of the fruit of your choice. Bananas work in this pretty well but they don't look as pretty as these little orange segments. Repeat this until you are out of yogurt. I always try to save a little bit of the cereal, coconut, nuts and fruit for a pretty finish. No worries if yo use them all, it will taste delicious just the same!


Allow this to chill for about 1/2 hour to let all the layers meld. It won't get soggy, just think of it as all the ingredients making friends on a Hawaiian beach before breakfast.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe makes everyday ingredients special and fancy!

    ReplyDelete