Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

 Asian Peanut Slaw


  

"Ms. Little, What did you have for lunch?" I have this same conversation with a sixth grader every day when I pick my youngest bunch up from lunch. She usually grows tired of my "peanut butter and jelly" response. Today was a bit different. I told her I had this delicious Asian Peanut Slaw. She was surprised but a little confused. Slaw is not one of our vocabulary words, you see.  She told me I should put it on "that internet thing we know you do."  So, here it is.

This is a super easy and delicious meal to make. I like to add chicken to it or you can serve it as a side dish. You can serve it right away, but it won't be nearly as flavorful as it would be if you let it sit overnight. I really like this for picnics because it doesn't need refridgeration for a while. To try this out yourself you will need:

 
1/3 cup of rice vinegar
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon pineapple juice concentrate (orange juice also works)
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
 5 cups of shredded green cabbage (1/2 head)
2 cups shredded red cabbage (1/4 head)
3 carrots shredded or diced
2 green onions
1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
1/2 cup chopped peanuts

 
Mix the first six ingredients together. I had to warm up my peanut butter for a few seconds in the microwave to encourage it to combine.


Then combine the dressing with the remaining ingredients



Combine all the ingredients and let them sit for at least 3 or 4 hours. did I also mention this is super healthy? You should know that it really is.  I hope you try this out for your lunch soon!





1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good! I love the combination of flavors. I enjoy the stories about your students!

    ReplyDelete